What is a press release?
A press release is a written statement or announcement distributed to the media in order to provide information about an event, product, service, or other news-worthy item. Press releases are typically written in a specific format and are intended to be used by journalists and reporters as a basis for news stories or other forms of media coverage. The main purpose of a press release is to generate publicity and awareness for the subject of the release, and to encourage the media to cover it in their news stories. Press releases can be issued by businesses, organizations, government agencies, and individuals, and are often used to promote new products, announce company news, or provide updates on events or initiatives.
Where do I Submit a Press Release?
There are several ways to distribute a press release, including:
- Through a wire service: A wire service such as PR Newswire or Business Wire can distribute your press release to a wide range of media outlets, journalists, and other stakeholders.
- Directly to journalists: You can also distribute your press release directly to journalists who cover your industry or topic. This can be done through email or a distribution service such as Muck Rack or Cision.
- Posting on your website or social media: You can post your press release on your website or social media channels to reach your audience and attract attention from journalists.
- Through industry associations or trade publications: Depending on your industry or niche, you may be able to distribute your press release through relevant industry associations or trade publications.
It’s important to note that while a press release can be a valuable tool for generating publicity and media coverage, it’s not a guarantee that your news will be picked up by journalists or covered in the media. It’s important to ensure that your press release is well-written, newsworthy, and targeted to the right audience.
What is a Press Release Submission?
A press release submission is the process of sending a press release to various media outlets and journalists for potential coverage. The submission can be done through various channels, such as wire services, email, or through a PR agency. The goal of a press release submission is to attract media attention and generate news coverage for a specific event, product, service, or other news-worthy item.
When submitting a press release, it’s important to follow the standard format, which includes a headline, subhead, dateline, lead paragraph, body copy, boilerplate, and contact information. The press release should be well-written, concise, and focused on the key messages you want to convey. It should also be newsworthy, timely, and relevant to the target audience.
Press release submissions can be an effective way to reach a wide audience and generate media coverage for your news. However, it’s important to keep in mind that not all submissions will result in coverage, and it may take multiple attempts to generate interest from journalists and media outlets.
How to Do a Press Release Submission
Here are the general steps to follow when doing a press release submission:
- Write a well-crafted press release: Start by writing a press release that is well-written, newsworthy, and targeted to your audience. Follow the standard press release format, including a headline, subhead, dateline, lead paragraph, body copy, boilerplate, and contact information. Make sure that the content is clear, concise, and focused on the key messages you want to convey.
- Identify the media outlets and journalists to target: Identify the media outlets and journalists that cover your industry or topic. You can use media databases such as Muck Rack or Cision, or conduct research online to find relevant outlets and contacts.
- Choose a distribution method: Decide on the best way to distribute your press release based on your goals and budget. You can use a wire service such as PR Newswire or Business Wire, or distribute the release directly to journalists through email or a distribution service.
- Submit the press release: Submit the press release through the chosen distribution method, following the instructions provided. Be sure to include all relevant information, such as the headline, subhead, and contact information.
- Follow up with journalists: Follow up with journalists to see if they are interested in covering your news. You can do this through email or by phone. Be prepared to answer any questions they may have and provide additional information if needed.
- Monitor coverage: Keep track of any coverage generated by your press release, and follow up with any journalists who have covered your news to thank them and offer additional information or comments if needed.
By following these steps, you can effectively submit a press release to the media and increase the chances of generating coverage for your news.